Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:58:03 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>
Subject:      Re: RoadHaus - Front AC Kit Install / Final  Report

Are you sure your AC vent temps are that low? Vent temps should not go below 33 degrees because the system will literally "freeze up" and stop functioning until it thaws.

Volks,

I couple of months ago ... I purchased a Front Air Conditioning Unit, had it Installed and the Rear A/C Rebuilt by European Cooler Air of Dallas, TX.

Yeah I know .... Hard to think about A/C this time of the year.

Here's my Final Vendor/Product Report:

European Cooler Air, Inc. 972-771-3791 2671 East FM 552 Rockwall, Texas 75087

E-mail: Jerry West jwest@europeancoolerair.com

http://www.europeancoolerair.com/repair01.htm

Vehicle:1990 Westy Syncro with existing Rear AC.

My work order:

Purchase & install Front A/C Kit Rebuild Existing Rear OE A/C Convert Existing system to Freeze 12 (preferred by installer) Replace A/C Hoses Replace Existing A/C Compressor with a higher capacity 10ci unit.

Cost: Front A/C Kit is $650 (not including installation) Other work was extra.

Total bill approx $1800

Front A/C Kit Component Photos:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/56FC8E86B84B48A

Front A/C Installed Photos:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/CAA19FEA9AD899D

QUALITY:

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best):

Workmanship: 7 Customer Service: 9 Quality of Materials: 9 Completed on Time: 7

COMMENTS:

What Worked,

Front AC Performance:

Before leaving Dallas I put a temp gauge in the front right AC vent. Temps got down to around 30 degrees F in a few minutes with outside temps in the 70's.

Since then I have taken additional measurements and each time the front system seems to get down to 25-29 degrees F within a few minutes. The outside temperatures have been between 50 - 70 degrees F.

Won't truly know till this summer. But as of now .... Performance seems great.

Air flow coming out of the vents decreases from right to center to left as you would expect. Comparing the air flow to Warren Chapman's front Behr Unit I saw at Van-O-Rama .... I would say the Behr puts out more air flow. I think this unit will be adequate but wished there was a tad more flow out the drivers vent. Also the fan motor seems pretty quiet.

The visual outside appearance of the front AC Kit is excellent. The only thing you see if the tall center vent I opted for. The existing left / right fresh air vents are used for the other vents. Also ... because of this, the outside air intake is blocked off .. so you loose the fresh air capability. Not an issue for me, but might be for some folks.

The Kit is so small ... It fits up under the dash without it's removal. See photo's in the Installed Album. And you really don't loose any significant space in your glove box ... Like you do with the Behr unit.

What Didn't Work,

The work was estimated to take 1 1/2 days but took 3 days.

After leaving Dallas and crawling thru the install a bit .... some minor things were not done too well.

Example:

1. The front AC install requires new hoses thru the firewall behind the right head light. I left Dallas in a terrible rain storm. At the first Gas stop 250 miles down the road .... I noticed the passenger carpet was soaking wet.

Days later when I had time to investigate I discovered that no grommets or sealant were used were the hoses went thru the firewall. Easy to fix .... but should not have been installed this way.

2. One of the main long A/C hoses was a bit too long .... Excess length was just tucked up under the frame ... Not secured in a tidy neat manner.

3. The new electrical wiring was kind of strung along and wound around existing A/C Hoses.

All easy to correct, but should have been done more professionally.

4. The AC controls had to be rerouted a bit.

You end up with three controls.

Compressor Front Fan Rear Fan

The rear fan control is now mounted in the Syncro Decoupler cluster. One other installation peeve ... Jerry never asked if that's where I wanted it ... he decided on his own.

In my case, no problem. But really should be discussed ahead of time.

What I'd Do Different,

I'd purchase the Front A/C Kit from European Cooler Air and have a trusted and know local A/C shop do the install.

I'd walk thru all possible control placement, firewall sealing etc issues ahead of time and agree on a plan for each.

- - -

IN SUMMARY ..... I believe this Front A/C Kit is a good solution that will greatly improve the Vanagon OE A/C system performance.

I would recommend it for purchase.

If you have any questions ..... please feel free to email me.

Larry Chase

Email: lchase@attglobal.net Web: www.roadhaus.com - Under Construction What: The Great North American Road Trip When: Early 2003 How: RoadHaus - 1990 2.2 L VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Mesa, AZ - 12V Stuff From: Mesa, AZ