Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:48:46 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Mercedes 5cyl 300TD in vanagon?

>Well, sorry, but it apparently *IS* possible it was before your time. But >I am thinking mostly of the 60's. The first Datsun overhead cam with IRS >came to the USA a year or two after the BMW 1600. Lots of similarities.

Yup. 4 wheels. WITH tires! Front engine. RWD. It was nasty of Nissan to copy BMW in this way.

>Of course, there's the earlier postwar story of "Zippo" cigarette lighters >from Japan - the inside of the metal shell still had the Budweiser silk >screening. I can't guarantee that story's true now, but it fit what was >happening at the time.

Probably urban legend. But we're talking card, not cancer-aids.

>It seemed as if the better steel was rationed to those parts where good >steel was an absolute requirement. I had a Honda motorcycle - had to keep >a box of phillips head screws on hand as the heads stripped. I tried to >do some work on a '74 or '76 Honda Civic. Promptly twisted off 2 bolts >mounting the carb. - I was used to working with German steel (VW & BMW). >After that I refused to work on it - better things to do with my time.

Honda bikes of the early-to-mid70s were notorious for cheese crankcase screws. And I had plenty of experience with them. No real headache to replace them with aftermarket allen-heads.

>The paint was microscopically thin with poor undercoating on some of these >cars;

Where were these assembled?

>I really admired their manufacturing skill in being able to apply so >little paint & make it look so good - new. But accidentally ding it with >a ring finger & tomorrow there will be rust. I can't believe many of >these cars survived to be collected.

Maybe not in the world's rust belt, but I see KE70s almost every day. They suffer rust no worse than any thick-sheeted big cars. And they were extremely reliable... one in USA has a REALLY proud owner... his passed 1,000,000 MILES a few years ago... with no engine work done except for 4 head gasket replacements. This is a cheap & nasty car?

>That the post war Japanese cars & products in general were poor quality is >a matter of record.

Postwar... meaning the late 40s and perhaps 50s. The 60s were another story.

>As is the fact that they aggressively copied any >product they thought they could sell (they were doing what they had to do >to recover). It will depend on how far back you go and which product, of >course.

Cars? Nope (except perhaps the Mustanglike appearance of the latish-70s Celica, which is an obvious marketing ploy). Bikes? Nope... never.

>But the point I really tried to get across was how well and how quickly >the Japanese got their quality under control (with American help) and then >became the world leaders. As far as I know, they still are.

Meaning Toyota. The other Japanese car companies have nowhere near the reliability or quality of this brand... Hondas rust (even where roads are not salted... including Japanese-market cars). Nissans are plagued with electrical and engine problems. Mitsubishis likewise. Subarus have weak transmissions... including the 300hp Imprezas. Mazdas can give a lot of trouble.

You might think I'm a Toyota buff. There's a reason for this. I just wish the company made more hi-po cars... the list is small... Supra... Soarer...4WD Caldina (Corona wagon)... Corolla Levin GT Apex. -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut