Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Dec 2002 14:32:09 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>
Subject:      Engine RPMs

I posted this question a week ago and didn't receive any responses so I thought I would try again. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

-----Original Message----- From: Jeffrey Schwaia [mailto:jeff@tssgi.com] Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 11:34 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RPMs

The previous thread about engine RPMs and top speed got me thinking, and I was hoping that some of you gear heads out there could confirm or correct my calculations.

Here's what I've come up with:

GIVEN....

PI = 3.14159 MILE = 5280'

SPEED = ((((RPM /(Gear * Final Drive)) * (2 * PI * Tire Radius)) / 12 ) * 60) / MILE

Using this formula with the gear ratios (4th gear = 0.85, Final Drive = 4.83) and tire radius (~12") in my 4 speed Vanagon I come up with: ~71 mph @ 4,000 RPM. This sounds dead on for my van.

It also gives me:

~18mph for 1st gear @ 4,000 RPM ~34mph for 2nd gear @ 4,000 RPM ~56mph for 3rd gear @ 4,000 RPM

All these speeds sound about right.

Am I missing something?

I'm looking to build a freeway flyer by mixing gear ratios from different trannys, so this formula could be of great help... if it's correct.

Cheers,

Jeff