Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Dec 2002 19:11:24 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      stretch Syncro/Vanagon lives!
Comments: cc: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Today I took the first test drive in my new stretch. It drove even better than I had hoped for. The turning radius was fine and the ride was a little smoother than that of the normal length models. I drove around my local area for about half an hour waiting for something to go wrong but everything was fine. No leaks or rattles, just a few waves and stares. Tomorrow I may take it out on the freeway if the rain stops long enough. A photo of it just after the welder finished is on Otmar's site under "Other Stretches". Since this photo I have added the taller Syncro springs to level it out and installed the custom windows in the smaller openings.

http://www.evcl.com/vw/index.html

Now I have some decisions to make regarding the final engine I will use. I plan to keep it diesel though a Subaru conversion is not out of the question. I want to have power steering and dash A/C so I need to use an engine configuration that has this capability. The Vanagon diesel engines do not support both of these. I may use an Audi 5 cylinder turbo diesel as this will allow all VW/Audi parts and not interfere with the Syncro fuel tank. The other choice is a 4 cyl TD VW engine but mounted at 15 degrees using a Kennedy adapter and flywheel. I may wait a few weeks before deciding. The starter motor is still an issue with the Kennedy setup as diesels need a stronger starter and Kennedy's reduction starters don't fit with the Syncro diff lock. I may try it with a gas Syncro starter just to see how long it lasts if it will even do the job at all. Anybody solve this yet?

Mark Drillock 86 Syncro front/83 diesel rear 25 inches added behind the front seats