Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Dec 2002 22:19:31 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Update: More idle issues for idle hands and minds

What a great resource this list is! Thanks for all the suggestions! Here's what I've done and the results:

1) Checked the idle stabilizer valve. It was vibrating normally. Took it out and cleaned it thoroughly with carb cleaner. It was pretty dirty.

2) Pulled the idle control unit, disconnected and reconnected it several times to clean the contacts and re-installed it.

Results: Well, the temp. outside was not as cold as it usually is in the mornings when I start the van, 40 degrees F, so the results may not be totally conclusive. The van started slowly, per usual, but idled at 1000 RPMs and didn't skip as much. After a couple of minutes, the idle was smoother, but the same speed. I didn't take it for a drive, but pressed the gas a few times to see if the idle would change. It did, increased to 1200.

So, before I replace the coolant temp sensor, the oxygen sensor, and/or the idle control unit, I thought I would pass on a couple of things I observed while doing this work. First, the vacuum hose going to the fuel pressure regulator looked like it was in pretty rough shape, though it was hard to tell the actual condition of the hose because it's wrapped in some kind of cloth cover. This confirms my suspicion that the dealer didn't do a good job of checking the hoses. Could a leaky vacuum hose to the regulator cause these symptoms?

The oxygen sensor looks to be a fairly well sealed unit. I was kind of surprised at this because people had suggested that it had gotten wet and had caused my problem a few weeks ago wherein my van stalled several times when it was really rainy. How would one go about sealing the point where the wires enter the O2 sensor? Silicone caulk?

About six months ago, I had to replace a section of the exhaust pipe, the J pipe just before the cat. converter. The joint between the pipe and the Y in front of it seemed to be leaking exhaust. Could this interfere with the readings of the O2 sensor and cause the symptoms I'm seeing?

Regarding hose quality, there's a kind of fat hose below the one that connects to the idle stabilizer valve that connects to, what, the throttle body, the AFM? It's all squished and cracked. What is this? I know, I could be more specific, but I'm just getting into learning my way around the engine compartment of this vehicle, thanks to my crappy dealer service.

Regarding the grounds my dealer "checked" . . . they don't look like they've been touched. I'll have to come back to that one . . .

Thanks all, Marc Perdue