Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:29:36 -0800
From:         Jerry McCavitt <mccavittj@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Repainting Vanagon

I'm not affiliated, or have any financial interest in Maaco, but check out their work, before you pass them up. If you shell out a little more cash for the better quality paint, they do quite a nice job. Go to a local shop, and check out the jobs they are turning out, as with any body shop, results may vary.

Where they get you, is the body work, prep, masking supplies, etc. If you can do your own prep work, like dent repair and sanding, you'll save a bunch. The biggest advantage with Maaco, is the curing oven they use, which hardens the paint rapidly, so you don't have to hide the van under a cover while the paint dries completely. They spray very well, and you get a decent warranty with the better paint. I did my wife's old Honda; D/A'd it, filled the gaping rust holes with foam insulation, applied bondo where needed, sanded everything again, and took it to the Maaco down the road, even using the cheap paint, 2 years later, it looks great, except where the rust is coming back thru around the windshield, which is not an issue of the paintjob... and if you choose to have them do all the labor (and it's a lot of work) they are reasonably priced, at least compared to all the other shops I checked with. I got an estimate of $900 for my Syncro, same color, high-end paint, all bodywork, including seam rust repair, with 2 years warranty against fade or rust return.

Again, not a commercial, no affiliation, etc. just check 'em out before you dismiss.

Jerry McCavitt

'86 Syncro GL 15"