Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Dec 2002 21:52:34 -0500
From:         Don Bolt <Don-Bolt@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Clutch Judder Fixed

Hello Again, Just want to thank Stan Wilder, Mark Drillock & Howard again for their more than welcome suggestions for finding and fixing a shifting problem that surfaced after repairing a clutch judder. Checked the front Trans Mount. It's okay. Appears to be V.G. to E condition. Probed it with a small screwdriver. After 20 years its in surprisingly good condition. The Engine Mounts were replaced because the outers were sheared off and the inners were about 70 percent sheared. Caused I'm sure as a result of being side hit by a DUI who ran a red light on July 4th 2000. Had a V.G. body shop do the repairs. No putty on this job. Anyway, bled the brakes again, no change. Double checked Master Cylinder and it was definitely leaking. Got a new one. Bled the clutch again, no change. Now we will try the shift rod guide bolt. Loosen the big nut, put 13mm on shaft hex, put wife in drivers seat, start engine, rotate guide bolt 90 degrees ccw, no change. rotate guide bolt 90 degrees ccw again, now it's a little better. rotate guide bolt 45 degrees ccw. Now it's slick as #@*!". Tighten the 19mm nut and leave well enough alone. I believe that I'll grind a flat on the shoulder flange of this guide bolt and identify it as the upper side for installation purpose, just in case Edsel Murphy tinkers with my memory. Thanks you guys. Now, my contribution to the list. If you're like me I hate it when a swing axle boot splits or CVJ boot splits. Might as well replace all four. I have been running the same replacement boots for about 7 years now. They are called Northstar UNI-FIL Type 2001. Cost about $15. They are black urethane and are trimmed to fit the CVJ. The only hitch is that you need to use early bus CVJ boot flanges. This is the metal collar that the 6 CVJ bolts pass through. They also make one of silicone of the same configuration called UF2002. They come with moly grease and clamps. I got mine at the local NAPA dealer, who has now discontinued carrying them. I have a full spare set left and am hoping for a chance to try the silicone ones. You can get either directly from Northstar for about $20. each. They are located somewhere in central Minnesota. Phone numbers 800-221-2668 or 218-685-4473. They answer the phone as Cosmos International. The young lady that I spoke with was named Toni. Now every other year I have been unbolting these things and rotating them, like a baton, to change the direction of rotation. I use zip ties, not the clamps supplied and add a couple ounces of moly grease. Toni named other FLAPS but none were located this far south in Florida. I got my boot flanges from my junk box where I had tossed old boots from our 71 westfalia. The 411 probably used the same boot flange. Have a happy everyone.

Don Bolt