Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Dec 2002 17:14:52 -0500
From:         "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Nice 1985 Jetta TD For Sale, (soon)
Comments: To: Audi-VW-Diesels@yahoogroups.com

Howdy all (feel free to forward this)--

I figure I'd give everyone on these lists the 'heads up' well in advance since many of you have spoken lustfully over the A2 Turbo Diesel you "just missed". Whether for a Vanagon TD project, or a daily driver, here's your chance at a solid, well-maintained TD.

We've decided it is (nearly) time to part with our very stock, 1985 Jetta Turbo Diesel, of which I am the second owner, since about 30k. We anticipate putting it up for sale in late January to mid-February, probably on e-bay if we don't work out a better arrangement prior.

It is in excellent shape with a 3/4" stack of maintenance records, though it is increasingly a tinkerer's paradise with about 240k miles total. Has frigid AC, 5-speed, sunroof, 4-door, is Gold with Gold interior. No rust to speak of. Slight bang on the rear valence (under the taillights) from wife forgetting to set brake; not worth fixing).

I currently drive it about 100 miles a day from NW DC to near Baltimore and back, and about 700 miles many weekends (home/back to NC). I'd have little fear of driving it coast to coast. It has its little quirks, but it handles better than new, shifts perfectly, and is a rock solid performer. Looks nice, clean, too.

The list of recent/on-going preventive maintenance is more than you want to see here; easier to list what has never been done/doesn't work perfectly:

1. The motor has never been out, the head has never been off. Very slight oil weep at typical galley (near the tab), and slight grey smoke on HEAVY acceleration. 2. The transmission, clutch, etc. are all original. Stub axle seals are due for re-do, tranny has a "whine" in 5th, but it has for years. Clutch works perfectly. 3. The fuel pump is original, looses prime when sitting >8 hours. I have an electric Facet fuel pump back by the tank to re-prime it during start-up. Works, no worries. 4. The driver's window doesn't roll down. I have a NOS OEM winder mechanism to replace it. 5. The heater/vent system needs "going through" to fix blend doors, etc. Works fine, but doesn't heat like the blast furnace it used to; mixes cold air in. 6. AC/Alternator accessory drive bracket needs overhaul/new bushings. Easy job, but haven't had the time. 7. Windshield has 240k worth of little pits. 98% of the miles on this car are highway miles at 65+ mph and sandblasting of this windshield proves it. Works fine, though; I'm just kind of anal. 8. Small tear in the carpet under driver's right foot.

That's about all that's not right. Everything else (typically as PM) has been replaced, most within past year or two, including headlight buckets/lenses/bulbs, alternator, all hoses/belts/reservoir, new shift linkage, new injectors and heat shields, ALL suspension wear-items, new GTI-type springs, gas-charged struts/shocks, Receiver/Dryer w/Freon evacuation and re-charge, water pump/thermostat, tires, brakes, etc. etc. etc. Maintenance has always been A1: regular oil changes, valve adjustments, timing belt, FI cleaner, etc.

Currently has Kenwood CD w/Alpine speakers, but that would likely come out (negotiable).

We've got our Westfalia in perfect shape, inherited a terrific petrol Golf (for Sue), and I just acquired a 1974 VW 412 with 34,700 on the Odometer. After a few weeks at the mechanic/body shop for a general clean up, that will be my commuter car. Then the 1985 TD is yours, if the price is right.

All this to say this: if you don't want to play the e-bay game next month, let me know. Hit a number that makes us both comfortable, and I'll delver it anywhere in the corridor from Fayetteville, NC to Baltimore, MD, +/- within reason. I'm not at all looking to re-coupe costs, just some cash that makes letting it go feel okay.

Bringing ideas to life, G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u +1.919.658.1278 "Fax mentis incendium gloria culpum"