Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Dec 2002 14:22:40 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oxygen Sensor Woes
Comments: To: DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM

Dave- if it's that hard you'll have to remove the CAT and try working on it in a vice. If you have access to a welder, and you can't remove the old sensor,and you can't drill it out , then you can make a new O2 hole with a drill and a nut.

A spare steering wheel nut is the right size. As long as you make the new hole next to the original, you can avoid drilling into the catalyst.

Robert K

1982 Westfalia

>From: Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM> >Reply-To: Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM> >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Oxygen Sensor Woes >Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 12:42:36 -0600 > >This is not really a plea for help; just want to vent my frustrations. > >For two weeks I've been trying to get the old oxygen sensor off my exhaust >pipe so I can replace it. Tried PB juice, heating it with a torch, bought >a >special wrench from Sears... all with no luck. > >Today I put more PB on, heated the fitting on the exhaust pipe till I ran >out of propane, then put a 14 inch pipe wrench on it. Then I slipped a 4 >foot length of steel pipe over the handle of the pipe wrench. I pulled >until I was afraid I was going to ripp the exhaust out, but that sensor is >married to that pipe for life! > >Anyone else encountered this problem? > >Dave in KC >85 Westy

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_smartspamprotection_3mf