Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Dec 2002 07:56:03 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: WARNING: Lighting upgrade hazard
Comments: To: sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM

With all that additional electrical current it might not be a bad idea to add a fusible link, fuse or circuit breaker to your system while you're in there.

Stan Wilder

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 21:41:19 -0800 Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM> writes: > Thanks for all the responses. (Wow - I got a lot of responses) > > After thinking about it and reviewing the pictures, I think many of > you are probably right - it does not make sense that it was caused > by the "consumer" end of the electrical system. (Chalk my comments > up to ignorance, panic, and knee jerk reaction). At least I feel a > bit less guilty and a bit more lucky (considering that it appears > there was an actual fire which was extinguished by sudden coolant > spray). > > I am *guessing* that it was perhaps a FI system failure promulgated > by the sub-freezing temperatures (brittleness, sudden expansion, > etc.). I have been super-diligent about replacing things on a PM > schedule, and the entire loop of hi-pressure FI lines was replaced > with the current motor about 5 years and 75k miles ago. I figured I > had about 25k more before I needed to worry about it, but I have > always told my (very competent) mechanic to replace *anything* that > looks like it needs it, particularly the FI lines. (Particularly > since putting out not one but TWO side-of-the-road Vanagon engine > fires!) > > I wish I was more familiar with the engine compartment and could > perform a better forensic analysis. I hope to be able to have > someone look at it and make an assessment before I rip it apart and > attempt repair. > > To those of you offering wiring harnesses - THANK YOU! I need to > figure out what the heck I am going to do, and will probably be in > touch. I may call my insurance company on Thursday, just to see if > there is a basis for a claim (as someone mentioned). If they would > at least pay for a tow and rental car, that would set me way ahead > financially.... > > Thanks all, and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays! > > Brent Christensen > '89 GL Syncro Westy (Over Easy with Toast) > Santa Barbara, CA > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Brent Christensen > To: sagp2002@yahoogroups.com ; Syncro@yahoogroups.com ; > vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com ; syncrolist@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 10:18 PM > Subject: WARNING: Lighting upgrade hazard > > > Ladies & Gents: > > I feel compelled to warn everyone about my recent disaster (this > morning). Many of us have spent a great deal of time discussing > the various methods and techniques to upgrade our lighting systems; > most recently the SA double-light systems using H4 bulbs. Those of > us involved in the discussion talked a lot about the modifications > made between the battery and the lights, including relays, fuses, > wire gauge, etc. > > Unfortunately, I (and others, I fear) overlooked the wiring > between the alternator and the battery. Well, today I found out how > disastrous this oversight can be. I have run my 80w/100w lights > for months with no problems, including running them along with the > main heater, horn, windshield wipers, and 150w subwoofer amp. This > morning, however, I was in a situation that called for using the > rear (auxilliary) heater. This combined with the front heater and > the side mirror defrosters appears to have exceeded the capacity of > the stock wiring. > > To make a long story short, my engine wiring harness is cooked, > and it took with it several cooling system lines, other electrical > wires, and a couple of vacuum hoses. Thank God no fuel injection > lines were burned. > > For the gory details, see > http://members.cox.net/bpchristensen/Vanagon/Fried_Wire/Index.htm > > > Brent Christensen > '89 GL Syncro Westy > Santa Barbara, CA > >

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com