Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Dec 2002 02:33:55 EST
From:         Rico Dagastino <Dagbear@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Versatility of the 87 Wolfsburg in a Divorce

It has been some time since I have sent a message to the list, however, I would like to share my experience with the list and perhaps this can lead others to cherish the versatility of the Vanagon when departing from a failed marriage. After having endured for 24 years the stunning excesses of my soon to be ex-wife I was faced this past September with the choice of either staying or leaving. I chose the latter. I packed my clothes and necessary items into the 87 Wolfsburg and set out on the first real vacation from enduring adultery, excessive spending (as much as $3,335 in one month in long distance phone bills and $6,000 in charges on credit cards forged in her mother's name, just to name a few) and continuing verbal abuse. I found the comfort of the Vanagon to be quite surprising. I fitted a small room air conditioner to the passenger window so that when parked at local state parks I could simply plug up for the night and enjoy cool, dehumidified air (a necessity, not a luxury in western Tennessee summers). The fold out bed was comfortable and the original curtains provided all necessary privacy. After about a week and a half I came to stay at my sister's house. I will always cherish the versatility of the Vanagon. It has never failed me unlike some other things. There have been minor repairs which I have had to perform but overall at 224,000 miles it still delivers faithful dependability, unlike some other things. So, if you have been listening to a still small voice saying, "Leave, you will be all right!", you should listen. It was like a lifeboat as the Titanic slipped beneath the waves. When you can endure no more and you must leave, simply pack up what you need and drive toward freedom. I feel much better for having left and much of the credit for my success goes to the vehicle my wife didn't want me to buy. So if she says, "If you buy that thing, you'll be sorry!", just think about the pleasure you will feel as you look in the rearview mirror at the stunned silly expression on his or her face. That can only be described as a profound, fulfilling pleasure. Thank you for your time. Rico