Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Dec 2002 08:53:16 -0600
From:         Birkenfeld Jeff <BirkenfeldJeff@JOHNDEERE.COM>
Subject:      Re: coolant type--i give up
Comments: To: "populuxe@EXECPC.COM" <populuxe@EXECPC.COM>

chris writes: i would like to know what the flavor of the week is. if there's been green stuff in my van for 12 years and it's got 145k on it, what does this mean? i did have some dreaded dripping month ago. has gone away(bar's leak @$2.59). thank you in advance,chris

Chris, flavor of the week is whatever you choose, just service it every 1 or 2 years.

What does it mean? Well, at 145K with green stuff all it's life and previous dripping cured by Bars-leak, I'd say you could be close to an engine teardown. Your coolant leak could have been a simple hose leak which is better to replace on a 12 year old vehicle or a head gasket leak which can appear as colder weather arrives. The green stuff isn't necessarily bad for your engine if serviced each year or 2. I would never try and cure a coolant leak in the van's system with sealant-in-a-bottle; this begs for more problems down the road like radiator and heat exchanger clogging, remember the oil cooler is an exchanger as well. My understanding is the dealer service coolant is the blue autobahn coolant. I use Prest#ne orange but will drain it at least yearly with or without my control. I think many owners have a preference of coolant and opinions vary but the bottom line is service at least every 2 years consisting of full drain and a helpful flush.

Now your engine might last another 80,000 miles if serviced properly or it might overheat next summer, who knows. I'd start with a coolant flush and change to the color of your liking, noting any coolant leaks and repairing PROPERLY. If your engine is dripping at the head gasket, R&R sooner than later and quit adding stop-leak to your coolant system. A new radiator and heat exchangers are expensive. You might take note of any rises in engine temperature next spring and summer compared to previous season; that Bars-leak has caused many cooling systems to diminish effectiveness including mine when I didn't know better.

JB

'89 Wolfsburg Carats-prest#ne orange in both, one is on second engine due to copious amounts of Bars-leak by PO '82 MB 240D-prest#ne green at 210,000 miles although MB wants me to buy expensive MB coolant '98 Subaru Outback-expensive subie orange coolant '66 Lincoln convertible-prest#ne green at 258,000