Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Dec 2002 19:49:19 +0100
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: side window removal
Comments: To: Herb Mooney <hmooney@RESTOREANDMORE.COM>

Removing the sides, from what I gather, is pretty much like removing any windshield or rear window. This info below is based on my experience removing windshields... someone correct me if it is different for side windows (as I will also need to do the sides this spring to replace my OEMs with the vented windows)

I have found that a large bucket filled with really soapy water can help things out a lot in removal, but even more in the installation.

You need to carefully push the window out from the inside, at a corner, near the body (so you do not stress and crack the glass). Then you will see how the window rubber works, (you can also pry the seal away a bit on the outside and/or inside to see what it is doing, but do not cut it if you plan on reusing it) and it should become obvious how to work the seal out as the window is falling out.

Suction cups and a friend on the other side can be very helpful.

upon installation you need to have a length of nylon rope (1/4 inch should work) which you insert into the second groove of the rubber. The first groove (the outermost groove) will of course be filled in with the glass piece.

I have found that the start and finish of the rope ends should be long, and should be both at the bottom center of the window. This is where everything should be coated with lots of soapy water... rope included. I use a soap that is similiar to a saddle soap.

have your friend set the glass in from the outside and the seal will be resting on the rope... you need to pull the rope such that the lip of the rubber seal will come towards you, and wrap over the metal of the chassis when the rope is gone... this locks the window in place... if you do this slowly, carefully and precisely, all the way around you will be fine. You can have your friend apply slight downward pressure from the top edge while you are doing the bottom edge.

Folks say that you do not need the plastic bead that inserts into the groove on the outside of the seal (the trim piece) but I personally think it helps lock the windows in... especially at the corners. I have used a black screen spline and that works quite wel and looks nice too. Again, lots of soapy water when trying to push the spline into place.

Do not get creative and use WD-40 or any silicone spray or other slippery product, as many of these do not dry out, and remain slick. If it remains slick, then your window will not be solid, and you run the risk of it being pushed out... especially dangerous on a windshield.

Be careful as even the slightest twist or tweak can crack your glass!!

Good luck, and while you are at it, you might think about documenting it with photos, and posting it for others to learn from too!

Happy New Year!

RSF

IMPORTANT!!! In order to reply to me, you must have the word "FISH" somewhere in the subject line of the email. Otherwise it goes directly in the trash.

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf