Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Dec 2002 14:52:52 -0800
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: newbie questions

I think Malcom may not have noticed that you have a diesel van. The diesel engine does use some short pieces of rubber fuel hose for return lines, but they are not under great pressure. The steel injector lines between the pump and the injectors are amazingly durable. I can't imagine one going bad unless the van was totally destroyed in a wreck, though you may have rust problems where you live. I would replace the rubber hoses at the first opportunity. Leaking diesel makes a huge mess of the engine compartment.

The crankshaft seals are relatively easy to replace by following the instructions in the Bentley. Unfortunately, you have to remove the timing components from the front and the transmission at the back of the engine to gain access to them.

I wish I could speak intelligently about the limited slip transmisson. I've never seen or heard of one where I live in southern California.

Mike Snow 1982 Westfalia diesel 5 speed 1983 ASI diesel camper

Malcolm Stebbins wrote: >>So far I have done: -water pipes (changed the rotting metal ones for >>the plastic ones) -heater matrix -new fuel tank (in place of rotting >>one) -engine oil flush & change -brakes (checked - seem ok) -cam belt >>(with help of a a mechanic friend), timing etc > > > Welcome to the list. One blatant item is that you have not replaced is > the fuel lines. Vanagain.com sells a kit with all of the pieces. This is > important as the fuel lines are OLD and likely cracked with heat and > age and are under HIGH pressure. Faulty fuel lines is the the #1 > cause of engine box fires. Do it sooner rather than later. Malcolm >