Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Dec 2002 21:45:18 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: brakes
Comments: To: Darrel <vwghost@TRIAD.RR.COM>

Daryl, I had a problem requiring me to pump to get a pedal, and it required replacement of the brake master cylinder to get the problem fixed. When I bled the brakes I got some help an I did the grunt work down under the van to open the bleeder valves while my helper pumped the brakes.

What I did was to get a piece of clear plastic tube and stick one end over the bleeder vlave and the other a clear soft drink bottle so I could see wat came out. I tell you the fluid was a mess, I got all kinds of dirt and water.

The key is to have someone with a syringe and bottle of brake fluid keep the fluid tank full to the mark during each bleeding operation. This ensures no air introduced into the brake system. I bled one line at a time. My helper made sure that the fluid level was full up during the pumping of the brake pedal during each bleeding operation. When I got a steady stream of clear, clean brake fluid with no bubbles, I would close the bleeder valve. Then the tank was brought back up to full. Did this on each wheel. Worked very well. You may need to go back and re-bleed the lines.

BTW, the front brakes can be bled without getting underneath the van.

Good Luck,

John Rodgers 88 Gl Driver