Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Dec 2002 11:11:47 -0800
From:         Ward Smith <wsmith@SAN.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: A WARNING!!! (Was: Cleaning the water tank!?)
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>

As a home brewer I can add this:

Bleach kills! Good or bad, bacteria or pathogens, it kills them all. It should disinfect quite well, and in small concentrations shouldn't harm people. How many people do you know that have been killed by swallowing pool water? Not many I assure you. The only problem we encounter as home brewers with using bleach is that if you don't rinse it thoroughly you will kill your "good" yeast that make the beer. As an alternative to bleach, we use B.T.F. It is a concentrated Iodine based sanitizer.

Here is what's written on the label:

Active ingredients: Butoxy polypropoxy polyethoxy ethanol-iodine complex (providing 1.6% titratable iodine)....12.54 %

Inert ingredients....87.46% (mmmmmmm, inert ingredients)

Instructions on the back:

capful in 2 1/2 gal water = 12.5 ppm titratable iodine.

It also has a few other concentrations, but basically as long as the solution is amber colored, there is sufficient iodine to sanitize. The only scary part is the big warning at the bottom that says Harmful if Swallowed!

As home brewers, we let our equipment sit FULL of this solution for about 24 hours, and then drain and let dry. The only thing I remember that might be bad is I think the iodine reacts badly with stainless if left in it for awhile.

The bottle I have contains 33 fluid ounces and cost me $12.95 at a home brew supply store. Phone number at the bottom is: National Chemicals, Inc. Winona, MN 55987 1-800-533-0027

GL,

Ward

Bob,

are you actually disinfecting, cleaning or deodorising?

A cup of vinegar, 250 ml of 5% acetic acid.

In, lets say 9 US gal of water , about 34 liters.

That about a 1:136 dilution, ie 34 liters of 0.037% acetic acid.

Certainly wouldn't want to trust that solution to do anything except leave a slightly "vinegary" scent!

The effective concentration of the acetic acid would be even lower, some would immediately react with compounds in the water or on the tank, leaving even less to do any "disinfection".

Bleach, for all of its negatives, does do a good job on clean surfaces Effectiveness is diminished by among other things, organics, ie dirt.

If you don't want to use bleach, look into the products that dairy farmers use to clean their equipment. Most, I believe are quaternary ammonium compounds. I use similar formulations as a bench disinfectant and as part of my "spill kit", and they do "kill bugs dead" (when used correctly).

The dairy disinfectants (and cleaners and descalers) are designed to be easily rinsed off and do not harm stainless steel (as does bleach).

Actually some home brewers are using the stuff.

Alistair

(not an expert but I do deal with respectable quantities of pathogens at work)