Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Dec 2002 21:52:41 -0700
From:         Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>
Subject:      Re: SUV Bashing)  was Think Positive to start your new year

It may well be true that many (maybe even most) purchasers of SUVs don't use them off road much, but who cares? Many people drive cars that hold five or more people, but they don't necessarily actually drive five people around all the time. My Saturn would go 120 MPH+, but that didn't mean I had no business buying one if I didn't intend to drive it that fast all the time. Why should someone else care because their neighbor drives an SUV but doesn't go off road? Vanagon owners should be the last to criticize, since my wife's Rodeo has better fuel economy and lower emmissions than almost any Vanagon. I love my Westy, but I know I am not being particularly environmentally responsible when I choose to drive it.

The fact is that SUVs are popular because they carry five or more comfortably, like a sedan, hold a lot of cargo, like a station wagon, pull a trailer about as well as most trucks, sit high enough for good visibility in traffic, have good ground clearance for rough roads (and urban speed bumps), and even have four-wheel drive in many cases for snow or mud. Since we love the versatile nature of our Vanagons, we should also respect the multi-use capability of the SUV. They are popular because of their versatility. Mini-vans, of which VW vans are the first example, are popular for the same reason. My Westy sits and sleeps four, but that doesn't mean I have to always have four people in it. It's nice to have a vehicle that is versatile.

Sorry for the rant, but I get a bit tired of the frequent SUV bashing. If you don't want one, fine, but why criticize others for buying a versatile vehicle? That's why most of us bought Vanagons, isn't it?

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc Perdue" <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET> > > Not arrogance at all. While the exception is that there are people everywhere that use 4WD trucks > and SUVs appropriately, and I imagine there's a higher concentration in your neck of the woods > given the terrain, most sales of SUVs are to people that seldom use them off-road. Here's a > web-site that pretty much covers this phenomenon fairly well: > http://poseur.4x4.org/