Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:48:08 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cleaning the water tank!?
Comments: To: Jason Weisberger <jweis@WHY.BOTHER.COM>

When you have the bleach solution in the tank, be sure to turn on the faucet and let some of it run through the line so as to disinfect that part of the system as well. Do the same when you flush it out. I do not add any bleach to the final water fill, just flush well. I have been drinking the water from the tank for 12 years (not always the same water ;)) with no ill effects. However, lately there is some brown crud occasionally, that is coming from the vinyl water lines from the tank to the faucet, so I guess it is time to replace those. You may already be aware, but you can access the top of the tank by removing the metal plate in the rear-most shallow cabinet. Makes a more thorough flush easier. Jerry P.S. A cup of bleach is pretty strong. My long-ago instructions from a Camping World catalog call for 1/4 cup bleach in one gallon water per 15 gallons of tank cap. The Westy tank only holds about 13 gallons. If there is strong residual odor of chlorine, add 1 qt. vinegar to 5 gallons water in the tank and let that slosh around for a while.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason Weisberger" <jweis@WHY.BOTHER.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 8:00 AM Subject: Re: Cleaning the water tank!?