Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Dec 2002 16:40:48 -0600
From:         Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM>
Subject:      One Step Forward, One Backward
Comments: cc: Bob Weaver <mrweaver@yahoo.com>

Today I replaced the propane bottle on my bernzamatic with a mapp cannister. Got under the van and heated the fitting where the oxygen sensor fits until it was pretty darned hot. I won't say red hot, but it was close. Then I put a 14 inch pipe wrench on that puppy and slid a four foot length of steel pipe over the handle of the wrench and pulled for all I was worth. And... whaddyaknow... It started to turn. A little more effort and it was out and the new one was in.

This having been accomplished, I turned my attention to the idle switch problem. Up until now, I thought the idle switch went to a connector fastened atop the right head. When it was working, some time ago, I unplugged this and put an ohmmeter across it and was able to see it go from open to short when the throttle returned to idle position. Most recently, I measured an open circuit here and was unable to get the switch to a position where it closed. My assumption was the idle switch had finally definitely gone bye-byes and that may be part of the problem with my irregular idle (idle hunting, as it were).

Today, fresh from my success with the oxygen sensor, I put a jumper across the plug that plugs into the idle switch thinking that would simulate a closed switch. Well, it may have, because the idle smoothed out, although it was just barely running (I had also bypassed the idle stabilizer box). Next thing I know, I've got all kinds of smoke coming from burning insulation on the idle switch plug and on a ground wire going to the left head. Hmmm.... I removed the short on the plug and the smoke went away almost instantly. I think (I hope) the wire is still serviceable.

So, the questions for today are: 1) Is that REALLY the connector for the idle switch? 2) Does the idle switch REALLY put a short across those two terminals? And 3) if the answer to the first two questions is affirmative, how the hell did I get so much juice into that wire to melt the insulation?

Any ideas out there from you vanagon wizards?

Dave in KC 85 Westy