Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Dec 2002 19:46:15 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 air-cooled broke down--weird
Comments: To: vgonman@MSN.COM

The only thing I can think of that might fill your crankcase with fuel is a spark plug that isn't firing and the fuel is blowing by the piston rings. That wouldn't account for the breather being blown out but broken rings could cause excessive crankcase pressure and also cause the fuel in the crankcase. You can race the engine with your thumb over the breather pipe and see if you feel pressure. I'd be interested in finding out about this event. If I come up with anything more concrete I'll post it.

Stan Wilder

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 20:12:44 -0500 Vanagon man <vgonman@MSN.COM> writes: > I was cruising back from Asheville in my 81, and all was > well.............then I started notice things REALLY slowing down up > one > grade, and then the next grade things really were getting > slow..........so > decided to pull off and take a peek in the engine bay. > > As I slowed down for the stop sign at the end of the exit, I could > see black > smoke.......and smell hot oil...........pulled over right then and > there, > and saw that the crankcase breather had popped off the top of the > engine...........Ok, no prob, put it back, and added about 1 1/2 > quarts of > oil. The darn thing would not start.........kinda stuttered, but > would not > start. I popped the valve covers, and took a peek, and all looked > well...plenty of fuel. > > Any theories on this one? > Adam P > 81 Westy "The Brick " > 70 Single Cab "Whitey" > 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" > 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) > 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg > 1976 Transporter (New CA bus) > Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled) > >

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com