Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:22:18 EST
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: leveling van ride height /cheap way to do it

In a message dated 1/2/03 4:03:58 AM, mcnock@EASYSTREET.COM writes:

<< My fix: >>

I'm reminded of a wannabe greaser I worked with when I was a kid. The greaser had bought a pristine '53 Mercury Monterey 2-door hardtop, burnt orange on the bottom and ivory on top which had been brought from the Left Coast by one of our town's most ardent motorheads. It was 1969 in the heart of the Salt Belt, so any old Mercury's still plying the boulevards were covered with pop-riveted patch pieces.

One day at lunch, the greaser was telling me about the new car he bought. My heart sank when he told me what he had paid for it. As cherry as it was, I thought it was unattainable when, in reality, I could have easily bought it. The greaser went on to tell me how he was "customizing" his new ride. First he painted it flat black to get that mean hot rod look. He said the paint job turned out pretty good, although it was a little thin in spots because he only had enough money for 7 cans of spray paint. At the time, a can of spray paint cost something like 49 cents.

He favored the California raked look, so to get just the right stance, he cut two short lengths of 2X4's and wedged them between the rear axle and the frame rail kickups. I was livid. In hindsight, I should have dropped the son-of-a-bitch on the spot for ruining what remains to this day one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen.

George