Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jan 2003 06:27:21 -0600
From:         Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: '85 Vanagon Automatic Rough Idle

Mathew,

Check the adjustment of your throttle position switch. If your engine is an early '85 you may have two switches -- one for idle position and the second for full throttle. If you have a later model there is a combined switch below the throttle body. In either case you may need to adjust the idle position function. You'll need an allen wrench, multi-meter, a feeler guage and three hands but it is a fairly straight forward process.

When I replaced the combined switch in my '85 I found that just getting the switch to function consistently is more important to smooth running than keeping the adjustment perfect according to the Bentley Gospel.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo'