Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jan 2003 09:24:15 -0700
From:         Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ground Fault in Westy?

It's all a matter of timing. If you have ever seen an EKG trace you know the heartbeat has a fairly complicated electrical rhythm. If a shock hits the heart at exactly the right point in the rhythm's cycle, you get ventricular fibrillation (not to be confused with atrial fib, which is fairly common and usually non-fatal). Once your heart is in V-fib, you are going to die, even if your trained SO is standing right there to start CPR. The CPR won't do any good, so unless they have a set of those paddles ready to zap you, say goodnight, Gracie. Just a note to remind all the list members to be careful this year. You don't want to earn a Darwin award. www.darwinawards.com.

Also, when we plug our Westy in at the house, it is always to a GFCI, and it doesn't trip it, so something is amiss unless it was a bad GFCI at the campground. I have seen spider webs in an outlet box cause a GFCI to trip, so just go over your whole 110 system (it isn't extensive) and make sure everything is clean and tight. (Unplug the van first!)

Bill in SE Arizona

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Goff" <THX0001@AOL.COM> > > The implant might not be required for the Grim Reaper to pop in for a visit. > Many years ago I read an article in the IEEE Spectrum which explained some of > the whys and wherefores of electrocution. I am still surprised at what a > minuscule current can cause death. Depending on its path, 10 - 15 milliamps > can cause fatal fibrillation.