Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jan 2003 11:05:02 -0700
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@VOLKSCAFE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Door Locks keep recycling
Comments: To: Tim McDermott <h2oboxer@OPTONLINE.NET>

Hi Tim, There's lots of stuff in the archives on this, but yours is a common problem. After two vanagons with power door locks (and the requisite problems), I think I'd spend my time on one of the aftermarket power lock solutions (with keyless remote). One of the things I always disliked about "properly" functioning vanagon power locks is that all four locks engage/disengage at the same time. For security, this is bad, i.e. if someone wants to jump in your passenger seat when you or your wife is at the mall at night, etc. Most newer cars have a way to only unlock the driver's door if you wish. Anyway, you'll need to start looking at your lock motors (if any aren't working) and tracing wires to see what's broken. There is a contact plate in each motor that sometimes corrodes due to rainwater falling into the motor for each front door. I'd start with the front doors, then the hatch, finally the slider. All motors are the same. Good luck, bmc :) Ben McCafferty ben@volkscafe.com

Volks Cafe 1823 Soquel Avenue Santa Cruz, CA 95062 831-426-1244 http://www.volkscafe.com