Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:45:33 -0800
From:         Cameron <draconn@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine Repair or Conversion
Comments: To: "Jones, Dustin" <dujones@STATE.PA.US>

My thought on this one is to rebuild it as it is and keep it the way that VW built it. I say that because I once had a 78 westy that blew an engine. I had a connection to a garage at that time that helped me obtain an air cooled 6 cylinder motor from a Porche 916. This was a surprisingly easy conversion to do, however it turned out to be more trouble than what it was worth. There always seemed to be some minor thing going wrong with it. I did then and still do a fair amount of driving in the mountains around curvy and unstable roads. The extra power was noticable but the handling of the bus was still the same. The top heavy girl (since when is a top heavy girl a problem) still had to be brought to a crawel to safely navigate the corners of the twisty road. So it ended up taking about the same amount of time to get to my favorite camp sites as before.

Getting parts was much more expensive. I finally ended up selling that van when I was hard up for money. I missed it ever since for many reasons, none of which having to do with the engine, but more for all of the work I had done to the interior. I had completely rebuilt the interior with 1/8 inch oak vaneer for the headliner, and all of the cabnetry. She was a beauty when that was completed.

I recently bought a used but well loved 85' Westy. She has quite a bit more power than I expected out of her stock engine. She seems to get up and go better than my 78 did with her stock motor. So your 91 has to be even better. My thought is that a well built VW engine that is lovingly maintained performs magnificantly given the conditions required of it in the business end of a 4500 pound steel box that it has to push around. I think that any engine that can give an owner over 100,000 miles doesn't really owe us much.

My thought on power is that I have bought Nissan Maximas for my wife over the years. We are now on the third one. It has a 240 horse with a stick shift tranny. When I feel like a race, I drive that car. Vee Wees are a lovely breed of vehicle that teaches us wonderful patience. The Westy's were built for comfort. If you want speed, my friend, you are in the wrong chariot. In my busy, hustle and bustle life I really enjoy the way the Westy forces me to be patient and to slow down and notice things that I would be moving to quickly in anything else to see. For that, she is a wonderful bus, even though I have to learn some new rules, as she is the first water cooled VW product I have had. Remember, in a Westy, half the fun is getting there!

Blessed Be my Friends, Cam Current father of an 85'Westy, a 67 Beetle, a 69 Beetle, and a 78 Westy have all gone to other loving homes now. Step father to a 1999 Nissan Maxima