Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jan 2003 15:13:17 -0500
From:         Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: LP tank--Epoxy paint V.S Urethane paint
Comments: To: George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>

the rust moving under the paint while the paint is still intact is referred to as creep. creep is very common in most powder coat applications, that is why i would suggest against powder coating the tank. powder coat looks real pretty and has a hard surface but has poor creep resistance characteristics. i did some reading about powder coating in a paint research journal (i don't recall the name) and there are some powder coatings designed to resist creep. i think that you would have to buy in larger quantities to obtain them.

the red "lead" primer is still available from sherwin williams or a least it was about a year and a half ago. i personally use acid etching primer, but you should be careful when using it because it only has a short pot life. it will spray and look okay after its pot life is over, but the acid will no longer be doing its job. the primer is a two part basically an acid and a vinyl. the vinyl encapsulates the acid so that you can top coat it with out having adverse reactions. the acid primer should be top coated 8 to 12 hours after final primer application.

i use the acid primer because of it superior creep resistance. there are better primers if you want better protection from creep. the best in my opinion is zinc primer. this stuff is basically galvanization in a can. the problem with using this stuff is that it is a suspension of zinc flakes in a solution. in order to keep it in solution it has to be constantly stirred, so you need a spray gun with a stirrer. if you were really cheap you could probably get by with constantly swirling the gun around to keep the flakes in solution.

one final note when selecting coatings to resist rust. you want to get the manufacturers data sheet and look at their salt spray testing numbers. the salt spray test is commonly conducted by most coatings manufacturers. they stick some coated piece of metal in a plastic chamber filled with a calibrated salt solution and spray salt water on it until it starts to rust. they then record how many hours of spraying it took to rust. this is certainly a simplification of the process but it should suffice to get the point across.

finally no good coating will work unless the surface is properly prepared. i would suggest that you have your tank bead blasted with some where around a number 10 glass bead. if you use a coarser bead make sure that you can spray your coating over it, check the manufacturer spec. the acid primer isn't supposed to be sprayed over a blasted surface. the blast profile is to jagged for the vinyl to reliably cover. i have used the number 10 bead with fairly good results, because its blast profile is fairly small. the other option is to use coarser media and hand sand it after blasting, which i find to be a bit annoying.

jonathan