Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jan 2003 19:54:36 -0500
From:         Deborah Walters <debbwa@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      ignition? injection?

Hi,

Just as I was gloating over not having to make any van repairs in the past 6 - 8 weeks, Gypsy ('85 w/1.9L engine) is disabled again.

Yesterday and this morning she would not start when hot (after driving 2-3 miles then stopping at the post office yesterday and to get gas today). She was turning over, and over, and over. Seemed to me like she was out of gas, so thinking there might be a problem with my gas guage I went to get a can of gas yesterday and she started after I put it in. She had cooled for about an hour. Today, I disconnected and reconnected the spark plug and coil wires on the distributor cap, and she started (cooling time about 15 minutes).

Soooo, thinking the distributor cap was the problem I replaced it and the rotor today (they were both pretty corroded). She started right up, I drove her about 20 miles, and when I parked I restarted her to make sure she would, and she did.

Then, after sitting for 3 hours I drove home and she bucked now and then on the Interstate, and eventually I lost power - from traffic lights I could not get up to more than 1-2 MPH in first gear, would go just a little faster in 2nd, and then all of a sudden she would just take off. I also got the impression of something holding us back (I checked to make sure the brake was off), and when I got home, she was smoking from the engine, but I could not locate the source.

I had the loss of power problem several months ago, and cured it by changing the air and fuel filters.

This afternoon I checked the resistance on the coil, and the cable from coil to distributor, and the voltage on the Idle stabilizer control and the Hall control unit, and started the van with the idle stabilizer cables connected together - still had the problem. Then it got dark and cold, so continuing tomorrow.

Any thoughts? Should I be concentrating more on the injection system than the ignition system? The last time I started the van (which is when the idle stabilizer cables were connected together) she ran for about three sputters, than stalled, and then would not restart.

Thanks a lot for any advice you can share!

deb '85 Westy "Gypsy" Orlando, FL