Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jan 2003 07:57:56 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 5 clyinder Audi 5000 Turbo to Vanagon engine swap........
              MIS- INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!
Comments: To: Open Wheel Racing <openwhel@BELLSOUTH.NET>

Not so fast. David Marshall did not say that Audi 5 cyl engines could not be used. What he said was that the available Vanagon 5 cyl bellhousing did not have provisions for the flywheel based timing system the Audi TURBO 5 cyl engines used. The non-turbo Audi 5 engines are used all the time as most people here know. You have not addressed his actual point. I don't know about the turbo timing system myself.

Mark

Open Wheel Racing wrote: > > Greetings List, > > A short while back the list was full of much interest and chatter about > installing a Turbo, or a Turbo engine in a Vanagon. It caught my interest > for several reasons, one being that I have a very good Audi 5 cylinder Turbo > engine for sale. > Very shortly after I offered it to the list for sale, a list member in > the engine swap business, posted a very knowledgeable note about how the > Audi 5 cylinder Turbo engine would "Not" fit the Vanagon. Giving several > reasons about how the flywheel wouldn't work, so the ignition could not > work, and that no one made an adapter for the swap over, etc, etc. > Well having seem this engine in a Vanagon, running and driving very > well, I knew this was mis-information. I did not take a stand at the time > for lack of proof. Not wanting to start a war (and still don't) I keep > still, until I could state otherwise, with the facts to back it up. > Please notice the postings of: > > Mr. Budd Premack, dated 1/1/03 at 10:25 pm, offering a friends Vanagon > for sale. It seems the Vanagon has an Audi 5 cylinder engine in it, using > mostly readily available "Stock parts". Pictures are at the listed web page > at the bottom of the post. http://www.loam.org/bus4sale/ > > Mr. Helmut Zeidler, dated 1/6/03 at 4:06 am, About the new T5 > Volkswagen. at this link: http://www.rupertiweb.de/bulli/forum.pl?read=23319 > showing pictures and general information. Its in German and has a lot tech > info to wade through, but if you read down far enough you will come to a > very small link, in English to a web site called "VW Bus Engine Swap to Audi > 5E". Well that caught my eye and I clicked on and it has all the > information: parts numbers, tech, and pictures of the 5 Cylinder Turbo and > naturally aspirated engine swap. > > I also found a company in California that offers a kit at > http://vanagonprojekt.com I am told they are a little pricey, but then I > guess the commercial engine swap business is tough, and you have to be that > way, unless your in the "Click". > > Well as a shameless commercial plug, I still have the 86 Audi 5000 Turbo > engine for sale. It is in excellent condition, and complete with all needed > systems to make the engine run right, and complete the installation. > PLEASE MAKE ANY INQUIRIES OFF LIST! > > I hope the wrong information being given was a simple mistake, and not > an attempt to corner the engine swap market. I see where some of these > adapter kits are very pricey, starting at over $500.00 and up. Where the > main part ( the bell housing ) is priced at $150.00 new in the web page ad. > I guess some reluctance to offer this information is natural. I mean you > don't hear a Maz- a dealer saying "go buy a Volkswagen" do you? > Again I'm not trying to start a war, and if I have upset anyone, I > apologize in advance. It just seems funny that with this much common > knowledge about the availability of these "stock parts" etc, they would know > also! Then I guess some people subscribe to the "Its not enough that I > succeed, Everyone else must fail", philosophy. > Please don't start a war and waste a lot of bandwidth with snide > remarks. If you have an observation or a comment about my ancestry, please > do so at openwhel@bellsouth.net . All E-mails will be answered promptly, off > list. :-) > > Have a good day! > > Howard