Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jan 2003 15:09:43 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starting Batteries
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>

Well as coincidence has it... I had to put a new battery in my camper yesterday. The reference guide the Interstate dealers use recommends using the Group 91 battery in Vanagons (as opposed to the group 41 battery).

I chose to use the Group 91. It's identical in size to the group 41, which, as you noted a higher CCA rating. In my case they didn't have a 72 month group 41, so I also got a longer lifed battery to replaced the previous Interstate (which had lasted 7 years.)

Of course, this also led to that issue of "skinning the knuckles" to get the old battery out. Except I found a good way to replace the battery that didn't require me to stick my delicate finders down into the battery compartment. I have some packing straps (1/2 wide band of reinforced plastic straps typically used to bind larger items). I inserted this down the sides of the battery to the loops that were there on the older Interstate I was replacing. I used a long then screwdriver to bring the ends back up, and then, Voila!, I had a carrying handle for the old battery.

The new battery has the carrying handle built in.