Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:42:31 -0800
From:         Tom Salicos <tomsalicos@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Electric door lock problems with '90 Carat
Comments: To: Greg Kriss <carat90@LYCOS.COM>

Hi Greg, My experience is from my '87, and I am doing this from memory. I won't be going out into the howling cold wind to rip off a door panel, so I'll also be kinda general.

All the door lock motors work the same. There is a two-wire plastic connector that brings in a "Close" signal and an "Open" signal from the other lock assemblies. This signal drives a 12 volt DC motor either forward or backwards to close or open the lock, depending on which wire had the 12 volts. The lock assemblies have a really fancy (and over-complicated) set of contacts that remove the voltage to the motor when the plunger is down. If those contacts don't work, the motor just keeps turning.

For the front doors, the lock assembly has a 12 volt input voltage that is used to power the "Open" and "Close" wires that go to the other locks. So when you close one, it goes down, and when it is down, it puts out the "Close" voltage to the rest of the locks. If the contacts don't open up right when the motor goes down, the "dance of the doorlocks" begins. When it's down, it tells the other locks to be down. When it's up, it tells the others to be up.

Some have said to look for bad wires, and some have said to clean the contacts. I don't think it is worth the effort to take them apart, since you have to remove the door panel each time you mess with it.

The motor assembly is directly below the door lock button. You can pull the front door panel off enough to reach in and disconnect the single (red) wire connector if the lock is causing the others to dance. You can also disconnect both of the connectors to be sure.

A recent post recommended buying one motor and replacing motors until you fix it and I agree with that approach. I paid $80.00 for a single motor. Some motors have hard-wired connectors and some have "pigtail" assemblies that plug into them. Look at the motor you are taking out to see what connector assembly you need to replace it.

I think this is the funkiest design screw-up about vanagons, and I understand the reason for it. Germans also have the "bring you children to work" day, and one day Hans brought his seven-year-old in and let him design something...

Good luck,

Tom Salicos '87 Westy Syncro '76 Bug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Kriss" <carat90@LYCOS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 3:03 PM Subject: Electric door lock problems with '90 Carat