Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jan 2003 00:12:45 -0800
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      1.9 coolant issues (maybe not heads?) (little longish)

A few weeks back, i posted a help wanted ad about my cooling system while traveling in oregon. Through the wonders of the internet, a shop was recommended, and repairs completed while i was in alaska for a couple of weeks.

Apparently, the water pump they fixed was not the issue (i was a little bit, um... fru$$$trated to find this out the hard way). Driving back to the california bay area required re-bleeds about every 130-150 miles. Coolant going from the reservoir to the overflow tank. Had to get air out of radiator and move coolant back to where it is supposed to go. No appreciable coolant loss. New pressure cap. Saw a little coolant on the rear heater core a couple weeks ago, but this was the first time anyone looked at it, well, probably ever. Tightened up the little white plastic nut...seemed ok after that.

Tonight, i let the engine idle for about 20 minutes, revving it up occasionally, looking for any external leaks. Didn't see anything. Underside of engine on left side looked damp (thin, watery oil), but didn't seem to change throughout the duration of the run. The engine seems to be running slightly rougher (maybe my imagination).

Is all this pointing to the head gasket?

Tomorrow, i'm planning on fabricating a pressure tester cap so i can pump up the cooling system and try to see some sort of leak. Are there any places to look for in particular?

Finally, since i am anticipating head gasket failure, what are some online resources that outline how to do the job right? BostonBob is a good one, but others (currently going through archives)? I want to take the time, and spend the money correctly refurbishing my 1.9, while learning more about the engine. What are the accepted (and maybe unconventional?) ways to get the most reliability and durability out of this engine?

Thanks for all the input... i'm slowly making my way through the archives now...

-Damon

'84 Westy