Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:19:04 -0800
From:         Tromper <evilpig@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Compromise  was SUV Bashing)  was Think Positive to start your
              new year

On the topic of more then you need...

The Vanagon is in many respects a compromise for me. In all reality about 85%+ of my driving could do just as well with a gas cheater such as the one my lady drives. Indeed we do tend to use her golf for basic bumping around, and it does a fine job.

The problem comes into play on issues of maintenance, and the Great Satan yclept "Mandatory Insurance" which would bring the cost over maintaining two vehicles greater then the cost of added Vanagon miles.

I do keep an eye on fuel prices et al, and do have an old rabbit convertible waiting in the wings for when the equation changes, or when the spirit moves me to run a convertible. [Seattle winters are far from conducive to that feeling]

I have debated a Syncro, and in fact the equation would then fully justify a secondary vehicle, so I would run the rabbit, or perhaps pick up something even a wee bit more practical; although it would do a fine job on my commute. Whereas I do enjoy the greater view and just the "feel" of the van, I try to appreciate all vehicles in their own light (so far there have been few I detest)

Regardless, perhaps a show of hands for those who do run secondary vehicles for commuting et al would be in order.

The next question would be "How many SUV owners do the same arithmetic, and how many are just trying to compensate for physical or emotional lacks?" [Some are probably "under compensating" and should be driving semis, or trains. :oD]

Best Regards all

Tromper 1982 Dieselfant II "The Manatee"