Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:26:32 -0500
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Key West Road trip...or Ric Meets Jimmy

Hi All,

Got back last night from a one-week road trip with my two older boys (both Vanagon owners) from MA to KW. We left early in the morning on Jan 2. The first day we drove 12.5 hours and made it to South of the Border. Camped there for $15 for the night. Considering SoB is such a tourist trap (and we of course fell for it) the campground was nice and clean, folks very friendly.

The second day we headed out about 8 am. Figured we'd make it to around Miami, however we decided to press on to Key Largo. We arrived in Key Largo around 8:30 pm. Most of the campgrounds were already closed for the night!! Apparently Snow Birds like to get in early. As we were searching for a campground, my wife called to say hi. I told her I'd call back as soon as we found a campground.

About 10 minutes later she called and said she had made reservations at the KOA at Fiesta Key which was about 20 miles down Rt. 1. The folks would be waiting for us. Off we went. Got to the campground set up in a stiff breeze. All night the canvas of the pop top was fluttering. No wonder I dreamt I was on a sail boat!

Saturday morning we made the final run to KW. As I drove out of the campground I thought I just ran over a hornets nest....weird buzzing noise from under the Westy. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Everything was running ok, but it did bother me.

Arrived at Boyd's Campground around noon, checked in and then drove off to KW to do the "tourist-thing".

At this point I must digress for a moment. Last year about this time I bought a GPS unit. Figured it would be a nice toy to have (not that I've ever gotten lost). In May Wendy Silva (of Campers on Cape Cod fame) told me about an activity called geocaching.

For those of you who haven't heard of geocaching, it is a sort of treasure hunt. Folks from all over the world hide little containers of trinkets. To find a site, you go to www.geocaching.com and get the coordinates. Armed with the coordinates and your GPS you find the site, make an entry into a log book and perhaps take a trinket and leave a trinket. (If you have a GPS but not tried geocaching, try it its fun!)

Back to the Key West road trip....while in KW we did some local geocaches. One of which was called "Trails of Margaritaville". This cache was dedicated to Jimmy Buffett and was a tour of KW starting at his original apartment, the place that inspired "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and ended up at his recording studio.

Now everyone who goes to KW ends up at Margaritaville (and Sloppy Joe's, Captn Tony's, etc). However not too many people that JB has a recording studio there, which is in a non-descript white concrete block building in Old KW.

Just as we found the recording studio Jimmy was exiting the studio! I stopped him told him what we were doing (geocaching). He looked at the instructions for "Trails of Margaritaville". We chatted for about 5 minutes and got a great photo of Jimmy and me! That made the trip!

We also enjoyed the hospitality of a fellow Vanagon-owner - Mike from KW. He's stationed (with his family) with the Coast Guard in KW. I gave him a call to tell him about my fuel pump dilema. He had a spare used one which he lent to us. I carried the fuel pump all the way home as insurance. As it turned out I didn't need the pump. The old one still buzzes, but still delivers fuel. I'll get a new one next week. Thanks Mike!!

We left KW on Tuesday morning, drove to Daytona Beach where I spent a "lost year" in 1970/71. Wow that place changed! Wednesday drove to Virginia, and then home on Thursday.

All in all the Westy performed flawlessly - average speed 68 mph, and 18 average MPG, total distance 3500 miles in 8 days.

Dad and the two boys had a wonderful time "bonding"...they want to do another road trip!!

Ric