Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jan 2003 06:24:28 -0800
From:         David Menche <dmenche@LIGHTWAVEMICRO.COM>
Subject:      ECU Chip 2.1 Digifant

Hello: I'd like to know of experiences with a ECU power chip for the 2.1 Digifant vanagons. I have heard about these, what is the lists experience with them?

Specifically what is gained, and lost by using them.

What source(s) exist for the chips? (and are all power chips the same???)

On the same subject, what will a power chip add to a 2.1 liter with bigger valves (ie Boston Engine stage III engine)?

Any Californians experienced with power chips and passing smog tests?

I'd like to get info, as my 2.1 liter has 168K miles, oil pressure is only about 30 psi now on the freeway (Mobile One 15-50) and compression is less than good (100 psi min, 135 psi max) So I know it will be time for a rebuild soon. I am considering a replacement waterboxer, with some performance upgrades like bigger valves and the chip.

Also I have read of problems of mixture being too rich with the stock FI and bigger valves (and I assume same for ratio rockers) How does thepower chip address this?

thanks, looking forward to some good replies.

dave menche 1986 vanagon, 1961 Bug, 1972 914, 1963 356, 1972 914 with Buick V6, 1980 Triumph Spitfire (Jee Wiz, how that get in here???)