Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:39:42 -0700
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@VOLKSCAFE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Price, Price, Price
Comments: To: Laurence Smith <laurence@ALANASMITH.COM>

Just a personal opinion, here, but it seems to me that used parts are, by nature, a barter-type transaction. The trade-off is that you might find a better deal than new, and both seller and buyer have to agree on the final price. No one is holding a gun to the buyer's head, whether the lack of a posted price is a negotiation tactic or not. In the end, the buyer has the ultimate negotiation tool: the word "no". "Let the buyer beware" has always been the rule, because they are the only one with something at stake.

It seems really simple to me: if you don't like dealing with someone who doesn't post a price, don't. Use the several well-established vendors <g> who have prices posted on their websites. If you do deal in used parts, as many of us have at one time or another, it is your job to know your market, and what a particular part is worth, and to walk away when the price exceeds that.

Instead of creating unenforceable rules on the list, vote with your dollars. If no one on the list responds to FS items with no price, the sellers will get the message and start listing prices. But I doubt that's how it will go.

Wishing everyone a great weekend from Colorado..... bmc :)

Ben McCafferty ben@volkscafe.com

Volks Cafe 1823 Soquel Avenue Santa Cruz, CA 95062 831-426-1244 http://www.volkscafe.com