Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:18:47 -0700
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@VOLKSCAFE.COM>
Subject:      Re: non-starting vanagon
Comments: To: dgk1 <dgk1@HUMBOLDT.EDU>

To me it sounds like you accidentally pulled off the coil wire at one end or the other. There is a large wire to the starter from the battery, but it would have to be connected for the engine to turn over. If the coil is disconnected, you won't get spark to any cylinder, so it'll crank all day and not even try to catch. But it's not really near the starter, so hmmm....

If you're not familiar, look at the distributor (left rear of the engine, with five wires/terminals on it) and trace the middle wire. If it's not connected to anything, that's your problem. The other end goes to the ignition coil, a cylindrical object, black or blue, that's about 2" in diameter and about 6" long. The wire goes to the middle of that.

I'd be curious to know what it turns out to be.

tx, bmc :)

Ben McCafferty ben@volkscafe.com

Volks Cafe 1823 Soquel Avenue Santa Cruz, CA 95062 831-426-1244 http://www.volkscafe.com