Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Jan 2003 07:28:06 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Longer studs for 15" Wheels
Comments: To: pokey@vanagon.org, syncro@yahoogroups.com

In a message dated 1/10/03 4:47:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, pokey@vanagon.org writes:

<< I want to swap my 15" wheels from my 2WD van to my syncro. To fit the 15" Wheels to the 2WD I needed to get longer studs in rear and buy longer bolts up front. I have two questions:>>

Not necessarily.

<< 1) Do 15" wheels just bolt on to a syncro (front and rear) or do I need to get longer studs (front and or rear) just like a 2WD? I do not currently have 15" wheels.>>

The SA wheels (Rheins & Carat 2's) that you said you intended on using should mount with same hardware used in the US spec Carat (1) alloys. That is not saying you can use your hardware from your 14" steel wheels will work. You still need the hardware from a van equipped with alloys. The Syncro application is an additional story as well.

There are two ways to install VW factory specified alloy wheels onto a Vanagon (T3) not so equipped. One is to just get the conical seat lugnuts and or lugbolts depending on your application. 2wd uses bolts in front and nuts in the rear as you already know. 2wd with SA Caravelle front brakes will have studs up front as well so uses lugnuts front and rear just like Syncros.

Since alloy wheels as dictated by material characteristics require a thicker mounting pad (as compared to steel rims), they usually require longer hardware to compensate for the mounting pad thickness. IMHO, for VW to be readily able to offer both steel rims and alloy wheels on the same range of vehicle at the same time w/o costly stud replacement each time, they simply went to changing the lugseat for each application instead. The Conical seat lugnuts (bolts) as used in alloy T3 wheels "reach in" further than ballseat lugnuts. You can engage more thread on your stud even though the wheel you are using is thicker than the one you are replacing. Simply put: To install alloy wheels, simply use lugnuts designed for those alloy wheels. Steel wheels use different attaching hardware.

Yes, I have a vendor for the lugnuts at about $2 each.

<< 2) If I want to put 14" wheels (non alloy) back on my 2WD van will I need to swap out the longer rear studs that I upgraded to or will the longer studs work with stock tires? I am OK in front as I have the shorter bolts still. I suppose I could cut the studs but it would be a shame. >>

1) Steel wheels will easily bolt on to almost anything else that the alloy wheels can bolt onto. 2) Tires have nothing to do with wheel studs as you seem to suggest above.;) 3) Yes, the longer studs can remain in place and still be used with your old 14" steel wheels. 4) You can continue to switch the wheels back and forth as long as you have the proper hardware going back and forth as well with the specific wheel.

If you need me to be more specific than this, then pmail me.

BenT Wheel <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html">Vanagon Cafe</A>