Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Jan 2003 10:48:31 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Testing some components
Comments: To: Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>

Assuming that you have the later Bentley, look at page 97.107, the idle stabilizer section of the wiring diagram for 1987. An unused white/green wire is shown between current track 41 & 42. It comes from the idle control unit (ICU) and ends at empty connector T1k. Page 97.103 lists the position of connector T1k as "single, in engine compartment, left".

Next look at page 97.141, Air conditioning 1986-1988 wiring. Near the bottom, in current track 16, there is a single wire branched off from the A/C compressor clutch control wire. This wire ends at the label "to idle stab. control". The color of this wire is given as red/blue.

These 2 wires connect in A/C models but the white/green wire just dangles alone and forgotten if A/C is not present. I just verified this on my wife's 87 with A/C. Red/blue from the A/C wiring connects to a white/green of the fuel injection harness.

This leads to a point I have made often. As good and comprehensive as the Vanagon Bentley wiring diagrams are, there are still errors and ommissions. I have run across many cases where the wiring colors and connector pin numbering is wrong. Fortuanately most of these occur outside of the main wiring section. The A/C wiring, rear washer/wiper wiring, Camper wiring, Aux battery, etc. all of these have errors and ommissions. In the above example the wire is labeled as white/green up to the connector on the main diagram but mislabeled as red/blue on both sides of the connector in the A/C diagram. In addition the connection is labeled T1K on the main diagram and T1A on the A/C section.

Mark

Marc Perdue wrote: > > I finally got out my Bentley and I'll try and find out where that loose > wire goes. It's white with a green stripe. Several people have > suggested that it is used for the A/C, which I don't have. We'll see. >