Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:40:16 -0800
From:         John Tullier <elefntkpr@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Canadian Import to the USA

Hello list,

Many a moon has past since I’ve posted, but then I’ve always been one of those seasonal acquaintances…sort of like eggnog. A recent event with an unexpected outcome prompted me to post.

The Vanagon is moving along ever so slowly, yet progress is not a measurement based solely in time. I’ve been secretly dreading the day I would have to endure both the mental and monetary anguish of registering my Canadian VW in the USA. However, today I was directed to a nice little “Mom and Pop” title and registration business in my local small town. Out of morbid curiosity, I gathered up my paper work and headed out. I reluctantly delivered my well rehearsed lines for this play and awaited the anticipated response of, “Sorry, that particular vehicle can only be imported on a summer solstice in Nome, Alaska unless your hair is red, then you must provide a recently severed limb.” Yet he made no noise save that of his old fingers having a well-trained go at his adding machine. He looks at me and says, “That’ll be $100.00 bucks.” Sure that he has grossly misunderstood my situation; I deliver it again with earnest taking time to sarcastically and phonetically elaborate on the vehicle’s country of origin. He nods his head and again says, “Yep, heard ya the first time, $100.00 bucks.” I felt it necessary to engage this man further and wanted to know precisely how this would be done. He would need my original title from Canada (provided it was in my name) and $100.00. He would then send off the title to the local DMV and within 7 to 10 days, I would receive my new title and registration. Not one to stare a gift horse too long in the mouth, I relented and made plans to set this up in the next week. This may be the ever-elusive trick we’ve been missing when importing vehicles…at least from Canada to the USA…an issue I’ve seen addressed many times in the Vanagon list server. Do not go directly to the DMV or customs to import the vehicle, instead find out where the poor folks handle registration and you’ll likely find the miracle you’ve been looking for in the unlikely setting of a trailer and a rusty old guru with a short but sweet “matter of fact” type personality. The same I am sure applies to inspection stickers, auto insurance and the Indonesian slave trade.

Hope someone finds this useful. A while back I was emailed a lengthy “essay” if you will on one mans horror show depicting his attempts to import his Canadian VW into the USA. I wish I still had his email address; I’d love to tell him my remake of his “Vehicular Shakespearian Tragedy” will only involve delivering a piece of paper and two car trips.

By the way, I have looked into this and his operation is entirely legitimate as is the procedure for import. It’s going from the USA to Canada that consistently involves trouble…I know I’ve already done it twice.

John Tullier