Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:33:46 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: O2 sensor testing
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

When disconnected, failed, removed, cut wires, whatever, the ECU goes to open loop and the engine will run rich. This is ok for a short while, BUT, your emissions go way up, and you will get a carbon build up started in your CAT and Muffler that will do it no good. Reducing the life of same. How much is anybody's guess, but it will happen.

I like GM Bulleys testing method. Throw it in the lake. . If it floats, clean with carb cleaner and re-use. If it sinks, get a new one. The generic ones are cheap enough and keeping a good one in the engine is good for the engine.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver