Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:45:14 -0500
From:         Greg Marshall <earthboy@ROGERS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where to get front seat padding?
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

Hi Richard

I jusrt redid the front seats in my 82 this summer, mind you, I only did the seat backs, the bottoms were fine. The final results were great, very comfortable, and appearance wise, indistinguishable from stock.

Here's how I did it.

First of all, go to an upholstery shop and buy a 1 inch thick slab of the stiffest density upholstery foam you can get. Also, pick up enough burlap to cover the seat back.

Now that you have your materials, you can begin.

Step one: Remove the seat backs by undoing the big allen bolts at the bottom on each side.

Step two: Remove the headrests. Don't try to remove the plastic headrest sleeves yet.

Step three: Undo the clips at the bottom of the seat and peel up the covers.

Step three: Find the bottoms of the plastic headrest sleeves. Push the prongs in and pop the sleeves out the top. Now you can remove the entire cover.

Step four: Remove and get rid of whatever is left of you old seat guts.

Step five: Tie the burlab down to the bare springs. This will help keep the foam fro msquishing through the springs.

Step six: Cut a piece of foam that resembles the shape of the seat back. Add enough to fold over the top, and around the sides.

Step seven: Tie this onto the frame over the burlap. Make sure to fold it over the top and around the sides. Cut holes in the top for the headrest sleeves

Step eight: Put the cover back on and reclip the bottom.

Step nine: Put the headrest back in.

Step nine: Have a beer.

This is a finicky, arty, crafty sort of job. It's not quite as straightforward or well defined as changing spark plugs, but with some time spent, I found this method made for good looking comfy seats, which I hope will be long lasting.

Greg. 82 Westy.

Step five:

Go to a furniture