Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:25:12 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Engine Conversion Transmissions

You'll blow your trans. Bet on it. Better fit a G50... the linkage is a nioce simple push-pull/ritate one, no tricky sideshift fiddling, so a straight rod from the shifter should do just fine, as in the older vans.

HOWEVER for ease of getting the throws right, use the G50 shifter too... you'll need to mount it in the cockpit floor. I made sure the German dealer included this item with my G50...

For mounts, the G50 has a wide nose mount with 2 rubber donuts... should be easy to make a monut to bolt to the chassis and then the trans to the new mounting bracket. No rear trans mount, so that's it.

Of course then you have top deal with CVs and axles... Weddle and others make adaptor stubaxles that 930 CVs bolt to (108mm PCD); you'd need adaptor axles. OR if you don't mind possibly less strong CVs, fit Weddle (100mm PCD) adaptors to the G50 and use VW or 915 Porsche CVs... again with adaptor axles.

From what I've heard the 901 wasn't much (if any) stronger than the Bus box. The 915 is, but is prone to syncro and bearing wear, and it has a poor shift quality... just like the bus! The G50 is said to be pretty much bulletproof, doesn't wear and has a good shift. And if you go to the right place (look around!) they're not all that much more $ than a 915. NOTE you will need a G50 made from 1987-1989; other years are too long and won't fit without expensive shortening modifications. If you get a Turbo M220 you will also get LSD and syncro on reverse. I ordered an ordinary G50 and received a top-of the line one from Germany! It may have been raced, so who knows what gear ratios it has...

Oh yum, to be able to snick sweetly from gear to gear, cruise at 300mph at 3000rpm, and not have to stop before selecting reverse! And less chance of getting stuck in sand etc...

BUT LSD can get nasty in slippery going eg around corners... if one rear tire lets go, BOTH do! Wheee!!!

As for MSDS, forget it. Marty, the owner, PROMISED top sell me a G50 kit (without the engine-mounting hardware the kit normally includes). Every time I tried to buy it off him, he put me off... he had no intention of fulfilling the promise. Finally he stopped answering my e-mails... and no, I NEVER got impatient with him in my messages (what i SAID to myself is another matter).