Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:28:46 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: good shop / bad shop website?
Comments: To: Michael Snow <mwsnow@cox.net>

Mike,

I think your reply is right on.

Actually you said what I was trying to say in a clearer more distinct way.

My concern is not with members stating their "opinions" we really need that input.

And I for one will continue to do exactly that.

Guess I was just cautioning against collecting large qtys of "Unverified Reports" and Posting them in one collective place.

That might be a little dicey.

Then again I could be way off and would love to find out that I am.

Please don't let my humble Point of View stop anyone from doing anything worthwhile.

Larry

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Snow [mailto:mwsnow@cox.net] Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 1:17 PM To: Larry Chase Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: good shop / bad shop website?

Larry Chase wrote: > Sean, > > The thing that scares people away from this task is "LIABILITY". > > Being such a litigious society (especially in the USA) people fear > legal action. > > Perhaps best left to the Better Business Bureau. > > http://www.bbb.org/ > > Or rather than taking the negative approach .... List those shops we > have had "Positive Expereinces" with. > > Which is already done in a few places.

My apologies for not putting this off until Friday.

<rant on> I can't believe that we are at the point in our online community where

we are hesitant to share experiences because of some percieved fear of litigation. There are several attorneys in this group that can comment on the nuts and bolts of the situation. From a practical standpoint, if you really do fear the lawyers and their mysterious powers, be discriminating about what you say! My opinion of the services purchased by me for my Vanagon is exactly that, an OPINION. Words mean things. Use the right words to say what YOU mean. If I say that I am unsatisfied with the performance of "Vendor X", there really isn't much to argue about. If I say that Vendor X cheated me out of my hard-earned money and will not deal with their customers in accordance with the law, then I am making a statement that some condition exist at Vendor X's that is less than legal, a statement that I cannot possible assess from the confines of my home office (ignore this clause if you are an expert in business law). In the end, Vendor X really doesn't have much to say about my opinion, They may have

some recourse for an irresponsible statement, made in a public forum, asserting that they are doing business outside the law. The BBB is a good tool, but very few people take the time to report

their bad experiences with businesses. This list, and the information that our members provide is probably the finest information source available for all things Vanagon related. Let's keep it that way. <rant off>

Way more than my 2 cents, Mike Snow

P.S. Larry, this is not a flame in response to your statement and is by

no means a personal attack.