Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jan 2003 02:11:18 EST
From:         Eli Secor <Secor8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Replaced Rings blowing oil

OK, this is my first posting and I'm afraid it's a deuzy! (sp?)

I recently replaced the heads on our (newly acquired) '85GL and ended up having to pull sleeve #1 and #4 with the heads as no amount of coaxing or tapping would seperate them. In the process I broke the top ring on #1 and ended up replacing it along with the oil wiper. I have everything back together and all works well (no coolant problems) except that I've gone through about a quart of oil in the last 300 miles. I tested compression and found the following: #1 - 100psi, #2 - 157psi, #3 - 127psi, #4 - 162psi. #1 was noticeably oily on the tip, leading me to believe that my oil loss is through that cylinder (there are no leaks as far as I can tell, and the damp exhaust at startup seems to have little oil fleks in it). A local shop told me that the new rings on #1 might never seat, and that I should pull the pistons & sleeve to replace all the rings, check the tolerances, and to have it honed and seated.

My questions are: 1. Does this sound like good advice? 2. Where can I find the circlip, piston pin, and crankshaft arm positioning tools? The local dealer won't even touch my car, let alone stock tools for it. I suspect I can get a stock circlip tool and improvise the crankshaft arm tool, but is there a home remedy for the piston pin tool? 3. I believe I have to pull piston/sleeve #2 to get to #1 - does it make sense to pull the whole thing apart, replace all the rings, and have a machine shop seat them all? 4. Source for reasonably priced head gaskets (only)? Last time I bought a complete gasket set for about $150.

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Eli & Amy - VW Newbies