Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:37:00 -0800
From:         zampano <matthias.k@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fast German will fix the broken rebuild / Fix?
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

Yeah, well,

In a perfect world, suing and going to court will work. In reality, however, and this is in part based on my own experience and that of friends of mine who have been to court or taken to court, it is seldom worth it and always better to settle and reach a compromise. Unless you are a lawyer or superintendent at the municipal court, you want to stay clear away from courts. Being right will not get you anything in the real world, considering all aspects. Even if you win, the vanquished will have a grudge or severe hatred against you, and might try to hurt, threaten or damage you and your family in some other way. I have seen it and had it happen. There is a book I had to read in school by Heinrich von Kleist, named "Kohlhaas". It is about a german farmer in the 17th (?) century I think who on his way to the market gets severly mistreated and chicaned by the guards at the city walls. What starts as a simple argument in which anyone can clearly see the farmer is obviously right, ensues into a huge battle in hearings and court appearances, with the farmer finally ending up burning the city to the ground. Everybody loses. It's ridiculous. A classic.

Enronitis seems to be the bigger underlying problem here, as it has infiltrated almost all aspects of doing business. Especially in a big city, with fierce competition. How come cell phones still are horribly unreliable all over the U.S?? When I could use them in Italy, Switzerland and Germany 8 years ago on mountain peaks, valleys, subway stations, anywhere except tunnels??? Seems like we all have grown accustomed to not commit to firm investments and instead focus on cashing in on the short run, or at least put up with it as citizens.

The time litigating would have by far exceeded $1100.00, or even $2000, the cost of the initial rebuild. Considering everything from writing letters, sorting out a court system outside my county, dealing with appeals etc. In L.A. county you can not have a lawyer represent you in small claims court, unless you lose the case and decide to appeal.

I have had a lot of people write me who had dealt with FGA, some said they had their cars filled with green coolant by them, others said their rebuild failed, too, even though FGA put VW blue coolant in it. Then again others encountered different problems dealing with FGA. Both the tech and sales rep repeatedly assured me they never used green coolant, ever. Are they lying??? I don't know. Could be. They might still think that I ran plain water in my cooling system for 10k miles. I know that I didn't, and used a 50-70% mix of phosphate free Prestone, checked at regular intervals.

My other car is a '91 Alfa 164. Some of you might break out into laughter here. But it's the same story there. I have resealed the engine twice myself and once by a very reputable Alfa shop here, this all over about 10 months time. The main crank seal is pissing oil again. I have had the heads rebuilt by recommended shops three times(internet research) and they messed up by forgetting to tighten bolts, etc. Always resulting in a big mess. $$$. It's frustrating.

The wonderful thing about America is that there's an abundance of opportunity, still today. This is due to a minimum of regulation. Requiring mechanics to go to school for several years to become mechanics, and specialize on certain makes, is how they deal with it in Europe. If you want to work at a dealership here, I think they have very strict requirements, too. As for independent mechanics, anything goes, and the consumer ends up paying the difference, sometimes. That's true for Chevrolets as it is for Volksies.

My regular mechanic for my Vanagon, whom I trust quite a bit, has also saved me money compared to the dealer. I should have trusted him to do the rebuild, too.

Needless to say that the WBXs and their management are delicate. Volkswagen of Santa Monica told me they don't even sell rebuilt 2.1s anymore, and the 1.9s go for $3000. Volkswagen of America had their hands full with fixing head gasket related problems on WBXs.

I have driven Vanagons(Transporters) in Europe as tour buses for our band and working on actual construction sites in Europe (during my architect internship, a requirement in some Euro nations). Diesels and WBX, and I think they are even smaller displaced over there, and might have been carbureted. Never heard or had such consistent trouble as with mine here. And those got a run for their money, some of them 10/12 years old, with more than 120000 kilometers on the clock. In Europe (Western, richer part) cars are well on their way to the glue factory or the east once they reach 100000 kilometers, also because of rust, they have very strict MOT safety inspections.

Having a car that's outside of the mainstream, sometimes without dealer support, is not and will never be an economical choice. Unless you learn and are willing to do the work yourself. But they're not as boring, and perform better if you get them to run right.

I would not use AMC heads in the future. I might lack the competence in this, but it might well be a problem involving metallurgy. The corrosion on those cylinder head mating surfaces and on the water pump looked unbelievable. After all, I think FGA will not try to hamper with or sabotage my engine, since I insisted on getting another warranty. The best option would be to get a Honda or Toyota, the best built cars out there, I think.

Stobbornly, I refuse to go that way, and am willing to put up, to some extent.

Happy trails

Matt