Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Jan 2003 07:14:30 -0800
From:         pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine Conversion Transmissions
Comments: cc: Jeff Field <N2915C@aol.com>, Derek Drew <derekdrew@rcn.com>

Jeff, I have an application that fits most of your criteria. I have an SVX (240lbs-ft of torque max with 2000rpm - 6000rpm >200lbs-ft) motor in my manly syncro westie. Modified suspension, brakes and cassette player with a *real* sheepish seat cover and a *genuine MOMO* shift knob. In back of beyond trim it weighs in at 5300 GVW. The R&P is the 4.86 with a 0.77 top. Wheels are 215-75x15. The transmission was rebuilt by Transaxle Engineering (Jeff Field) whose primary customers are off-road racers of the first washing. (First washing means they're already washing of the dirt whilst their competition is still "out there somewhere").

As Bent ment-ions, the application has only vague similarities to ORR.

Transmission failures are primarily of three major types: Abuse, accelerated wear and stress induced part failure. The 3-4 slider hub is a weak bit in the 094 transmission and upgrades are available from several sources. Abuse, generally resulting in chipped gears is unavoidable in most ORR situations but clearly avoidable in Vanagons. Accelerated wear can be mitigated but not eliminated by the use of high grade lubricants, SWEPCO and Redline are two vendors held in high esteem by the ORR crowd. Redesigned, stress relieved parts of the proper metallurgy can go a long way but not eliminate stress induced part failure.

Proper assembly both inside and out is VITAL to longevity. My shiny bright newly rebuilt 094 was not properly installed the first time, wearing out the 4th gear in less than 1500 miles. Perhaps as a result of the first disaster, a needle bearing of unknown condition at the rebuild failed almost immediately after the second repair. It lasted ~12000 miles, whining and complaining all the time and finally was replaced at great cost in parts (mainshaft was damaged). Third time is the charm, unless the installer fails to secure the adapter plate bolts and they loosen and fall out. Caught it just in time. Poor quality control in the installation, no final inspection. Horrid! Now properly connected with fresh bolts installed to specification and Blue Loctite, at KEP in Palmdale and a new Stage 2.5 clutch assembly, Bessie, the charolais camper, runs as well as ever and is eagerly awaiting le tour des les fleurs sauvage.

pensioner (better to wear out than burn out or rust out)