Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:15:49 -0500
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] 16" Trailing Arms / BIG 15" Tires
Comments: To: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan@mail.house.gov>
Comments: cc: syncro@yahoogroups.com

Perhaps I should have also asked how wide can I go on 15" SA Alloy Rheins (I think they are 15" x 6.5").

Secondly, who are vendors for ring and pinion changes?

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:53:58 -0500 >From: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan@mail.house.gov> >Subject: RE: [Syncro] 16" Trailing Arms / BIG 15" Tires >To: "'pokey@vanagon.org'" <pokey@vanagon.org>, vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com, syncro@yahoogroups.com > >FYI, I don't think you can even get 30x9.5x15 in with the stock arms. >Tirerack specs says that the BFG AT in 30x9.5x15 have a diameter of 29.5 >inches. > >My 235x70x16 BGF MT are listed at 29.2, and I cannot imagine getting a >larger tire than mine in there without replacing or grinding the trailing >arms - there is about 1/8" clearance. I think many people that have seen my >syncro westie lately will agree. It is at the limit ( I have OME shocks and >syncro.org springs. http://volksweb.relitech.com/party/2002/tomstreet.jpg > >I think John Wessle runs the 30x9.5x15, and I won't speak for him, but I am >pretty sure he had to grind down and reweld the stock trailing arm flanges >to get clearance. > >But if you are not interested in the exact limit, and want to break on >through to the otehr side, you can get the 16" trailing arm info from Derek >Drew. His syncro madness area has links to discussions of superlarge tires. >http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/Syncro_Madness_Area.htm > >Dont forget to change your ring and pinion gears! > >Tom F. > > > >-----Original Message----- >From: 80 Westy Pokey [mailto:pokey@vanagon.org] >Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 10:02 AM >To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com; syncro@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [Syncro] 16" Trailing Arms / BIG 15" Tires > > >I understand to mount REALLY big tires on your syncro you >need to upgrade rear trailing arms to 16" type. Where do I >get some? How much are they? Anyone have part numbers? > >Also, assuming one makes this upgrade and goes to syncro.org >springs or the fastforward lift kit, how big of a 15" tire >can you get back there? > >It seems like 30x9.50/15 is as big as you can go without >doing all of the above (assuming you don't care about >carrying the spare in the stock location) is this true? > >Thanks, >Chris > >If you would like to modify your subscription settings (including >unsubscribing), visit: >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro >Please remember that rude or offensive language is not allowed on the Syncro >list. Please try your best to resolve differences privately and keep them >off the list. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >