Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:22:21 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fast German ruined my dash, now what?
Comments: To: john Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>

This whole business of crappy workmanship reminded me of an incident in Alaska one time back in my Aviating Says.

I owned a Cessna 195. Built in 1954, it was a big 5-seat machine, with a single 300 HP 7-cylinder radial engine (cylinders laid out in a circle as opposed to our flat opposed cylinder WBX engine). Nice ship, cruised at 165 at 5000 ft.

Anyway, the engine had a leaking seal in the nose case - a special casting that mounted on the front of the engine that housed a circular cam ring that drove the valve train. I took the airplane to the most reputable radial engine shop in the area, and asked if they could replace the front case with an overhauled unit. "Oh, yez, sure, it's a snap.......why does this engine have only 7 cylinders instead of 9. (DOH!! that should have been the tip-off). I was so convinced by their reputation that I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

But I did ask, "Do you know how to do a hot valve timing check when this thing goes back together? Well for those that don't know, a hot valve timing check is a setting of the lifter clearances to a cold spec. as determined by the engineers, and a timing of the engine using the cold clearances on the valves. If the timing is correct using the cold clearances, then when the lifters are adjusted for normal use, and the engine components are expanded to proper clearance when the engine is hot, then the timing will be correct.

" Oh, sure, do it all the time"

Well, got a call one day and the work was complete. Engine was tested, signed off as airworthy by the shops AI (special authorization to approve return to service after major repair), and I paid my bill - over $1000 plus the overhauled front case. Got in the aircraft, started the engine - it sounded good - and taxied out to do my preflight run-up just before departure.

"HMM, I'm short 200 rpm, must need some minor adjustment. I'll just test hop around the field and come back in and get the rpm checked!!"

Big mistake.

Opened the throttle, the airplane accelerated down the runway -- but something was not quite right - seemed a little slow. Achieved liftoff speed and began to climbed .... but way to slow. I did not dare reduce the throttle -- I was not getting the power I needed. I staggered around the field and landed. By know I had sorted out the problem in my mind - the cam timing was off!!!! Valves were opening late and closing early, and consequently insufficient power was being developed.

When I got back to that shop I was livid. Part with myself for flying an unsafe airplane, but mostly because I knew the job had not been done right and had been signed off as airworthy. I was thoroughly PO'ed.

Well the long and the short of it was that denials ensued, tempers flared, and I moved the airplane to a permanent parking area for the time being. I contacted the FAA, complained to them, and on their instruction got another AI to come over, and under a tent over the front of the airplane, do a hot valve timing check. Sure enough, the cam ring was out of time. I could have lost my life over that.

The long and the short of it was I ultimately paid for labor of the job twice.... first to the shop, then to the second AI. But I knew the second AI personally and was always totally satisfied with all the work he ever did for me, so I was happy to pay the man. In the case of the shop, I ultimately wrote it off as a hard lesson paid for and I didn't get anymore hassle with the episode. As for the shop, the FAA suspended all their certificates of authorization for 90 days. This included those of their AI's and the shops certificate as an FAA Approved Certified Repair Station. That nailed them in the wallet big time.

With the exception of my friend the AI who checked the hot valve timing, nearly every repair I ever had done had some problem with it. I found that I always did better work than what I got in the shops, so have been doing all my own work for the most part. If it was not something I could do in the field, either airplane or car, I made sure that I knew more about the problems and what was required for the repair than the mechanic knew, and I look over their shoulders to this day. If a shop says I cannot go in the shop area for insurance reasons, I go elsewhere for my repair work.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver