Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:50:12 -0600
From:         Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: USED seat cover request - SEM surecoat
Comments: To: JordanVw@aol.com

http://www.semproducts.com/

I can buy it in my small town (25K people) at two of the auto body/paint stores.

Yellow pages time. I found my second source when the first failed for 5 days to get any that he said "would come on the truck" but did not offer to pick up the phone and actually request/order. Sort of told me that I wasn't a priority... <ugh>. He also would not suggest any real alternative sources - like I would just continue to wait until he got some in stock. Yeah right! <grin>

I went to a local Mom and Pop auto parts store to see if they carried it. One of their counter people referred me to a body shop (made the call for me) and that fellow told me of an alternative source store (another auto body supply store 5 minutes away). Went there and they had it. Two cans left and the guy said he would be sure to get some more on the shelf in case I needed it. <Thank You> Same price $6 or so.

So - customer service wins again and this is certainly something to think about when you tire of the local supermarket FLAPS with their high school age counter people that can't find parts if it isn't in the computer!!! <grin> (EXPERIENCE is good).

I ordered three door panels (two front and sliding door) for my Baywindow Westy from Bus Depot and sprayed them last night grey. I used 3 cans ($22 total) to take two camel colored door panels and 1 black sliding door panel to the grey that I am using (non-stock VW) in my subtly updated baywindow. Looks stock if VW's had ever came in that color. It did not add any texture to the panels - all that is there is the factory texture so texture-wise I would say this paint is transparent. Also the sheen (gloss) is perfect. Exactly like every new Honda I have been in (for example - I have not been around any other new cars recently) - not too glossy, not too flat. If you want flat they have a SEM clear topcoat that is flat, and another to add glossiness. Be sure you are buying paint or dye to recolor vinyl and not bumper paint. It is apparently two different animals and they were grouped on the rack together.

I have also used this extensively on plastic trim with excellent results IF the temps are warm enough. It was 30 degrees last night when I sprayed. I worked in an un-insultated garage with metal garage doors. I heated the garage for 45 minutes with a kerosene heater, propane Mr. Buddy Heater, and a small 50 year old electric heater. I maybe got the temps to 60 degrees. I cut off all the open flames and sprayed. Very light coats. Many light coats. The paint dries to the touch in 10 minutes but is not cured for 24 hours. I aired out the garage for a few minutes to cut the fumes and then started up all my heat again. I left the heaters on for over any hour. The door panels are perfect.

The plastic trim is another story. The parts with texture are fine. They look great. The smooth plastic parts have a slight (SLIGHT) texture to them more visible than something felt with the finger.

The smooth plastic parts that I painted during warm weather (worn steering wheel with worn smooth rim, E-brake handle) were perfect. This paint wants to flow and cannot when the temps are as low as last night. Keep this in consideration. I plan to find some way to spray future parts in my 70 degree laundry room without creating a bunch of over spray (old blankets and such).

Prep is easy - rub down with mineral spirits to clean away armour-all and the like and clean off body oils, etc. Then wipe quickly with lacquer thinner to wipe away the mineral spirits. A light rub with the lacquer thinner. It is used in the new paint and maybe in the old so if you use too much off comes a layer of the old paint (not bad) and I do not know if it would affect the vinyl in gross quantities. In small quantities it has had not effect (my dash is going on 9 months old now with this process with no ill-effects (cracking or whatever).

Hope this helps!!!

Chris M. <"Busbodger" of "TEAM SLOWPOKE"> Cookeville, Tennessee

ICQ# 5944649 scm9985@tntech.edu

'78 VW Westfalia (67 HP -> that is...67 Hamster Power) '65 Beetle - Type IV powered '99 CR-V AWD station wagon '81 CB900 Custom moto-chickle 2.5 Corvair engines for my Trans-vair Conversion