Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jan 2003 22:00:39 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aren't intermittant electrical problems fun!
Comments: To: Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>

Have you tried swapping the idle control module and have you checked the valve?

Larry A.

Mike Finkbiner wrote: > > Volks - > > I have had a couple over the last few years, and now I'm fighting an idle, > acceleration, bucking problem. > > This is an '87 Westy with a 2 yr old Boston Bob 2.1. The O2 and Temp II > sensors have just been replaced, and I have had the same results with two > different ECUs. We have swapped out the throttle body and throttle position > switch for another used one that looks good. A VW specialty mechanic has > done the recent work trying to diagnose the problem. > > When the engine starts, even in this chilly weather, it runs OK. As the > engine warms up I can use my Digitool to watch the Temp II and Oxygen > sensors. When the O2 signal starts to bounce back and forth, indicating > that it is at operating temp, I start having intemittant bogging down while > accelerating from a stop sign. It can also buck sharply when I'm > accelerating at low RPM, generally just once. > > Then, once the engine is fully warm, I begin to have idle problems. While > sitting at a stop sign or in my driveway, the tach will bounce around 8-900, > sort of a lumpy up-down. After a short time, it will start sagging and > recovering, then sometimes drop off to nothing for an instant and recovering > to idle above 1100, then back down again. Friday night I noticed that the > Fuel Injector Indicator on the Digitool was going dark when the engine idle > dropped off. Since then I have noticed the same thing, but had to look > harder during the day. > > It gets it's signal from pin 12 on the ECU, which is sending the fire signal > to the injectors. I can't tell if the signal cutting out means that there > is a problem with the connector to the injectors, or if there is something > else confusing the ECU. > > I have tried wiggling the Hall sender connector, with no effect. I suppose > this could be a ground problem, but a couple of years ago I pulled, cleaned > and greased all of the connectors that I could find on the van. I have also > added an additional ground from the ECU to the engine block. > > So - continuity problem in the harness, problem with the Hall sender? Bad > JuJu? > > Why does it only really act up when the engine is fully warm? I can have > the bucking problem once the O2 sender starts bouncing around, but the idle > problem only seems to happen once the engine has been driven for awhile. > > - Mike > > Mike Finkbiner > '87 Westy > Moscow, ID > mike_l_f@hotmail.com > > Perception is more real than truth, and belief turns truth into lies. - > Kedar Nan > > _________________________________________________________________ > Help STOP SPAM: Try the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* > http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail